Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Spring Delights and the Start of the Shopping Season

Last fall I planted my first fritilary. I am so pleased with them! Such charming, unique shaped blooms hovering above several heuchera.

You can barely see the leaves anymore, this primrose is pleased as a pickle to pump out bloom after bloom.


How have I missed this beautiful bud stage of the lilacs in the past season? Isn't this beautiful?

Remember this old farm wheels I found last year? They're officially art! I put the last one together this week, and can't wait to see how they look when all the perennials, shrubs, and roses in this bed fill in.
When there isn't much to look at yet, the rounded tuft of feathery green leaves on this Painted Daisy plant (grown from seed several seasons ago), is as pretty as it gets.

Hyacinth getting ready...
Hyacinth open...
Muscari getting ready:


The first new plant purchase of spring has come and gone. I had to bring home one of these Blue Poppy Anemone from Home Depot. I have had in the ground for more than a week in a bright indirectly lit spot, and it keeps on blooming!


One of my top wishlist plants is finally in my garden. Meet 'Marmalade' heuchera. Heavenly. I've backed her with a red daylily I divided, and put some red penny blotch viola at her base. She flanks the front entrance to my garden.
Happy gardening all!

3 comments:

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

I love your flowers! The real and the garden art ones too!! They look super!!!! I keep watching for those farm wheels at the flea market and garage sales. I see them on ebay all the time but the shipping is more then the item! I am sure I will find some someday(-:

CiNdEeS' GaRdEn

Jamie Rex said...

I was looking for them at a good price, too. I was so happy to find them just down the street at a yard sale for next to nothing! :) Thank you!

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Well I will keep looking then maybe I will find some good deals. I didn't want to have to pay the shipping. My brother finds stuff all the time where he lives in Davis. It is a big farming area. Or at least it use to be. A lot of farmers have sold their land though. He has found a ton of old chicken feeders to add to my collection so I keep asking him to keep his eye peeled for those farm wheels for me(-: