Thursday, April 30, 2009

Anticipating Plant Combinations

If you're like me, you roam the garden this time of year, twice daily, if not more, gazing down at the plants that seem to grow so slowly, visualizing, dreaming, and hoping for what comes next. In the off-season, I read a lot of books and magazines, and a topic I always come back to is planting combinations. I don't know how I ever gardened without thinking about the textures, sizes, shapes, contrasts, and compliments of plants growing side by side. The plants are still small here, just barely budding out, and emerging from the ground, but I can't help but be excited about some of the combinations I threw together.
I thought I'd share a few here:

I initially bought this urn to put a gazing ball in, but instead I've placed some plants into it. I have placed a Dichondra 'silver falls' annual, with a silver and red sedum.

The smoky leaves of Lysimachia 'Firecracker,' a spontaneous find at my local rotary gardens plant sale last year, are behind my young, small, golden privet shurb, and I love how they are starting to look together.

The creeping golden oregano beneath the chives looks great, even with the golden oregano so young; I think the purple flowers on the chives will only enhance this combination.
Sedum 'angelina' grows beneath this penstemon 'mystica.' Both are in the foreground of alliums.
A chocolate leaved huechera is growing beside a pine green sedum, both beneath a large 'John Cabot rose and white phlox 'David.'

My newest huechera, 'Marmalade' pairs with this 'red penny blotch' violas. The combo is backed by dark red daylilies, which I can't wait to see blooming together!

The young leaves of this red astible grow beside the chartreuse glow of heuchera 'lime rickey' and 'dolce key lime pie.' The frothy red plumes of astible's blooms will likely look stunning above a lime sea, but this early leaf contrast was unexpected, and pleasing. Just behind these you'll find the silver stems of Sedum 'autumn joy.' I'm so excited about this one!
The spikes of iris and footed by lamb's ear. Climbing above both are the young almost irredecsant leaves of a honeysuckle vine. Purple and pink morning glory should trail above this are soon, too. Never too much silver, but perhaps I could infuse some red or lime here, too? Ideas, ideas...
I can't wait to share these combinations as they grow, and share more as the season progresses. I've started sketching container idea, and plan on putting a few together this weekend. Ah, I love spring!
Happy Gardening!

3 comments:

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

It looks great there! I love the combo in the urn! Silver Falls is one of my favorites! It will over winter here if it doesn't get below 32 degrees. I have some alive from last year!
I love the bunny with his feet in the air(-:
CiNdEeS' GaRdEn

Jamie Rex said...

Thanks! I hope silver falls makes it way through the hot summer here! That bunny was $4 road side rummage sale find in Northern WI. I love him! :)

Jamie Rex said...

Thanks! I hope silver falls makes it way through the hot summer here! That bunny was $4 road side rummage sale find in Northern WI. I love him! :)