Wednesday, July 23, 2008

My Wish List(s)

I truly believe half the joy of gardening is the dreaming. I'm constantly thinking up things I could do with roses, clematis, and various perrenials I don't yet have. A couple years ago I became stressed with not remembering the name of 'that rose I fell in love with here' or the 'one I read was super-hardy in the magazine at the doctor's office.' I started jotting things down. First it was on random pices of paper. Then, I compiled a pile of magazine clipping, then I moved them all into a binder, with 'slicks' or page protectors and then I added a black 8.5 x 11 journal to the plan. Now, I'm much more organized about my wish list.

The last two springs I've really seen the difference, too. I'm not a trained gardener by any stretch of the imagination, so visiting perennial farms that have no more than occasional faded pictures and word labels was a challenge for me, much like shopping in a foreign country. Once iIstarted wish listing, Ihad the botanical and common name of the plant on my list, and often in my memory, or on a patch of paper I threw in my wallet, and I was able to find a lot of treasures!

I thought I'd record my wish lists in cyberspace for the world to see. LOL. The are in no particular order, but I starred the ones I really, really hope to get soon. The list is long. I read a lot, visit a lot of gardens, and I've been working on it for years now. Of course the roses I've acquired are taken off the list. (This year, wish list roses I actually bought included Hot Cocoa, Fragrant Cloud, Golden Celebration, Gertrude Jekkyl, Sombreiul, Royal Highness, & Love).

Roses:
*Eden
*Janet
Bolero
Prairie Harvest
Henry Kelsey
Playboy
LD Brathwaite
Queen of Sweeden
Iced Ginger
Brass Band
Bayse's Blueberry
*A Shropshire Lad
*Marie Curie
Amber Queen
*Graham Thomas
Tuscan Sun
Sexy Rexy
*Crocus Rose
Purple Passion
Brown Velvet
Classy Woman
Rosa Hemisphaerica
Imp
About Face
Love & Peace
Caramel Antique
John Davis
Well Being
Victoriana
Vesper
True Love
Sunset Boulevard
Soleil D'Or
Sheila's Perfume
Polka (Twilight Glow)
Perdita
Perfect Moment
Flaming Peace
Summergold (Yellowstone)
Marmalade Skies
Lichtkonigin Lucia
Kimono
Strawberry Parfait
Sweet Juliet
Jubilee Celebration
*Constance Spry
*Crown Princess Margareta
Abraham Darby
Garden Glory
The Generous Gardener

I just started this wish list, with the influence of the folks at Garden Buddies. :)
Mini Roses:
Autumn Splendor
Hanky Panky
Irresitble
Sweet Dream

Here's the clematis wish list. (This year, I already acquired some off the list, including Multi-Blue, The President, and Piilu).
Clematis:

*Blue Light
*Ruutel
Crystal Fountain
Ashva
*Anna Louise
Semu
Juuli
Harlow Carr
General Sikorski
Kacper
Fireworks

Perennials &/or Shrubs:
Japanese Maple (any red variety)
Smoke Bush (red/dark)
Red Rose Campion
Endless Summer Hydrangea
Papavar 'Patty's Plum'
Hosta 'St. Elmo's Fire'
Scabiosa 'Ultra Violet'
Peony 'Bartzella'
Coreopsis 'Autumn Blush'
Campanula 'Bernice' c. trachelium
Penstemon 'Shadow Mountain'
Salvia 'Mojave Sage'
Astrantia 'Moulon Rouge'
Delphinium 'Blue Lace'
Gallardia 'Tizzy'
Oriental Lily 'Satisfaction'
Daylily 'Autumn Minaret,' 'Pardon Me,' Chicago Apache,' Christmas Carol,' 'Lime Frost'
Chrysthanemum 'Matchsticks'


Grasses:
Miscanthus 'Purpascens'
'Allegro'
Sarabonde
Goliath

Annuals or Tender Perennials:
I included a few pictures here, taken at a local public garden.
Astrosanguinea 'Chocolate Cosmos'
Cerinthe 'Kiwi Blue'
Zinnia 'Zowie! Yellow Flame'

Zinnia 'Aztec Gold'



Ceanothus 'Victoria'
Wheat Celosia 'Punky Red'



Nicotiana 'Antique Lime'
Bouganvillea in a dark orange
Canna 'Tropicanna' and 'Tropicanna Black'

And the list goes on...

2 comments:

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

What a great list(-: I do that too. I get the garden catalogs and dream all year of how I wish I had everything!!!(-: Usually only get one or two things I really want. Your garden is just beautiful!!!!

hocklea said...

I love your rose wish list. You have some nice roses on it. You might think about adding Si and Baby Betsy McCall to your mini's. They are really something. My order from Nor East roses is so large I have actually been to embaressed to post it on Gardenbuddies. Angela (hocklea)