Saturday, May 5, 2012

Flower Close-ups

I took the first few flower close-ups of the year this week. One of my favorite parts of gardening is getting to study the flowers with my camera. Here is pink impression tulip standing tall.
A newer heuchera to my collection, this firefly has the most crimson blooms I've had yet.
One of my favorites: scabiosa, or pin cusionflower. I tried relentlessly to grow this in mucky thick soil I had in Wisconsin, with no luck- even after amending the darn soil. Here in our part of minnesota I find we have tons of sand in the soil, and the drainage is superior. These pin cusion flowers love it. I have 3 from last year about to start pumping out blooms, and I picked up this one earlier this season.
Of course, always one of the highlights of spring for me is taking photos of bleeding heart. My tradition pink is in full bloom, a bit smaller on the whole because of the transition to MN I'm sure, but nevertheless stunning.

So much more to come soon. I have dwarf iris blooming, and I bought some snap dragons to put all around. I even have a forced amaryllis about to squeeze a bloom open. Because of the warm spring the containers are up and out of the basement, and getting cleaned up, repotted, composted and manured. Spring is so much fun!

No comments: