Monday, April 4, 2011

Spring Growth

Had the most relaxing time looking closely at the ground this afternoon- after a long, hard, enjoyable, day of yard work yesterday, many signs of new growth were revealed. There's some real beauty when the first leaves emerge- colors you don't see in foliage come July. I enjoy the whole lifecycle of a perennial- right from the very get-go. This is only one that has me stumped? Anyone know what this could be? I don't recall... Heart shaped leaves of Ligularia 'Britt Marie Crawford' Tiny tip tops of 'delft blue' hyacinth. Sedum 'kamtschticum' Agastache 'bee's jubilee' is eventually yellow leaved, but right now, a stunning plum. Catmint's fuzzy leaves range from mint to blueish purple. Allium's promise of early blooms, always. Artemesia 'powis castle' is touchably soft, and so pretty. Salvia 'Caradonna's' b;ack stems steal the show in summer, but in spring, the foliage is a stunning olive and berry hue. A gift from an unforgetable neighbor, ths fern leaf peony's about to send out's first leaves. I love how the little red bud looks like it's about to pop. And 'Orange Scarlet' poppies are well on their way! So excited to see this good friends, 'Morning Light' delphinium, looking wider and stronger then last year. How gorgeous are the red tips on the leaves of this hadry geranium? Wow. A native wildflower, names escapes me, had burgandy leaves carpeting the ground. And, ah, columbine- most of which I winter sowed last year, are a variety of hues when the emerge, but this purple is magical. Reminds me of mini-cabbages. Also a gift from a neighbor, this is surprise lily. They've never bloomed for me- this is their 3rd year, and I plan on plucking them up and taking them to MN with me... perhaps next year they'll bloom. If you've never picked up Lamb's Ear and touched it- go do it this spring. You will want it in your garden, for sure. All the hens and chicks are stunning, but this dark red one is my favorite right now. Lady's Mantle even found a water droplet for me!
Happy Spring!

No comments: