Sunday, July 1, 2012

Let's Eat!



I've been growing food for years, and I will for the rest of my life. There's nothing better than a fresh tomato sandwich, or those first spring peas steamed just right. And zucchini bread is a summer staple for my boys.
I was lucky when we moved into this rental house to have a garden all ready to be tilled, and a neighbor to till it. I was unlucky, however, to not have experience with deer and so many rabbits. Nearly everyday I found another plant eaten to the ground by whomever... almost no peppers last year, and only a few pole beans. So this year we've fences it in. I know thgis won't keep really hungry deer out, and a bunny get easily get under that fence, but it deters them. So far, it really works! We've had quite a few peppers already harvested, and many more about to be. And beans are already set, too. Peas, lettuce, all untouched. Yay, fence.
See?
I think food growing can be so beautiful, too. Here's lettuce, lolla rossa:
Peas, a number of varieties:


The owner has raspberries planted, and we very much enjoy them!

Pepper, Alma Paprika:

Green Peppers:
'Contender' Beans:

 My husband, who is in th Army comes home today, and I've saved the first cherry tomatoes for him to eat fresh off the vine this evening. There's also a delicious anaheim pepper to include in dinner. What are you growing?

1 comment:

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Nothing better then fresh grown veggies!!! Love them! We have to fence our garden too because of the deer/rabbits. So many of them. It is 5 feet high to keep out those animals. They eat my roses and whatever else they please but the veggies are off limits...lol(-:
Glad you are getting to enjoy some veggies this year too!!!!