Thursday, May 6, 2010

Time for Lilacs!

I still marvel at the fact when I bought this house with husband in 2004 I didn't even know what I lilac was. Don't laugh, too hard. I grew up in a far coastal part of Southern California, where the temperatures do not drop below 40 ever, and it simply isn't cold enough to grow lilacs successfully.
In 2004, I was 25, pregnant, and a new homeowner, and a gardener. I had no idea the joy I had inherited. The previous owner has put in a row of lilacs, 3 different kinds, along the back of the property. I now find so much joy in caring for my lilacs. In fact, I have since planted another, and have 2 more on my wishlist.
Nothing beats a barrell of beautiful lilacs on the coffee table. Nothing beats the lilacs wafting in the windows, or filling the air around your head in the garden. Nothing, absolutly nothing, can compare to the intoxicating scent of lilacs.



Sightly less fragrant, but no less beautiful, white lilacs.

Happy Gardening!

No comments: