Last early spring I decided to try growing clematis seed. A friend from GardenBuddies sent me some Ashva seeds, and I followed her advice, sticking them in a large ziploc bag with perlite, and soil. I placed them on top of my fridge, where it's warm, and checked on them once in a while. I got handful of sprouts by late spring, and transefered them as they came to their own spots. I kept them, all summer, in a tiny tabletop greenhouse in a shadier spot in my backyard. I kept them from drying out, and waited patiently. They grew to a few inches, and did that stand-still thing that many of my clematis do in mid-to-late-summer. Cme frost, I moved them indoors to the basement, allowed them to be drier than usual, and let them up in a corner of the grow-light area.
I check on them regularly, under the florescent lights. I found some new growth a few weeks ago on 3 of them. I thought they might be ready for a transplant. Here you see on of the seedlings.
Here is another, about to be potted up in it's new home. I don't know much, but I think the roots look like a good size. I was pleased.
Here we have it potted up, heavy with perlite on top so I could keep track of the sprinkled cayanne pepper I put on it to deter the 5 cats I have.
I thought this year I would try a few more. I saved tons of seeds from last year, including several clematis varieties. I did not label them. I know that is terrible, but I was too busy all summer, and was proud I at least kept them from molding or worse. lol. The varieties I took seeds from include Etiolle Violette, Violet Charm, Rooguchi, Polish Spirit, Elsa Spath, and an unknown.
Aa close up of some of the seeds I'm sowing now.